UHMW Squeak Reduction Polyethylene Tape
WOD SPT20A Polyethylene Film Tape is a 20 mil ultra high molecular weight polyethylene film with an aggressive acrylic adhesive. Its high chemical and abrasion resistance and extremely low coefficient of friction makes this a versatile engineering material for many severe service applications. Materials slide freely over tape surface with no slip/stick tendency. High impact strength and shock absorbing properties.
Used to protect surfaces from abrasion, WOD SPT20A is a thin caliper general purpose polyethylene tape that creates a "slip plane" effect to allow contact without wear. This tape features outstanding chemical resistance and a unique combination of properties that make it ideal for many tough impact wear or sliding applications.
WOD SPT20A Film Tape is often used in general industrial applications to help control squeaks and rattles due to vibration or wear of metal and plastic materials. This SPT20A (ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene) film tape provides excellent chemical resistance and abrasion resistance that helps ensure a long wear life. WOD SPT20A Film Tape is mounted on a liner, making it easy to die-cut to meet the demands of specific applications. It is ideal for applications requiring increased chemical resistance and a low coefficient of friction and the movement of parts and/or materials. This slick surface tape is primarily used in aerospace, automotive, printing and MRO industries.
Outwears Teflon™ many times and is a good replacement when high temperature resistance is not a requirement. Applications include: rub strips on conveyors; bearings and sliding surfaces; chutes and hopper liners; dead plates; wear pads; guide rails; tool tables and fences; furniture and drawer slides/runners. UHMW polyethylene tape is used primarily in automotive and mechanical applications. Meets automotive specs: Chrysler MS-CH612, Ford ESB-M3G123-B, GM 6419M. Wound on a white paper liner. Made in the U.S.
- For automotive noise reduction, Tape provides a "slip plane" effect between incompatible surfaces to help reduce squeaks and rattles
- Used in applications where lubrication is not possible because of contamination
- Used in Conveyor guide rails and chutes, Spray booth liners, Tank and bin liners, Drawer and cabinet slides, and Protecting aluminum sheets on stretch forming presses
- Used in Roller wrapping, wire harnessing, squeak reduction, noise reduction, insulating, lining, shielding, protecting, composite bonding, flash breaking
- Outstanding abrasion resistance so will outwear PTFE and other materials in sliding applications.
- Sound damping for high energy absorption capacity helps reduce noise levels in machinery and equipment.
The Science Behind
The effectiveness of WOD SPT20A Film Tape lies in its Ultra-High Molecular Weight polyethylene (SPT20A) backing. SPT20A is a thermoplastic that has a unique combination of properties, such as exceptional hardness and low surface energy. The ultra-high molecular weight of this tape significantly reduces friction to create an effective solution for anti-stick and easy-release requirements. The abrasion resistance of SPT20A is greater than PTFE and increases as the molecular weight increases.
The extraordinary durability and versatility of SPT20A is used by designers and engineers in many industries worldwide. SPT20A based products offer a host of exceptional attributes that include high abrasion resistance, low coefficient of friction and one of the highest impact strength ratings of any thermoplastic. These attributes make them ideal for tough impact wear or sliding applications. The low coefficient of friction characteristic is surpassed only by PTFE; however, SPT20A tape has superior abrasion resistance. Our exceptional science and engineering of products provide long-lasting performance and successful solutions.
- Adhesive: Acrylic
- Carrier/Backing: UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) polyethylene film
- Release Liner: Blue Poly Liner
- Thickness: 20 mils (carrier, adhesive)
- Adhesion: 60 ounces per inch (to stainless steel test panel)
- Tensile Strength: 50 pounds per inch (longitudinal)
- Service/Operating Temperature: Up to 300°F
- Elongation: 300%
- Specification Met: Chrysler MS-CH612, Ford ESB-M3G123-B, GM 6419M
- Core: 3" Diameter
Alternative to: DeWal 423-20; Saint Gobain 2302-20R; Taconic 6311-20; Lanmar 622-20R
Note: Thicker backing helps extend the service life over thinner versions when subjected to abrasion and wear
Note: Specifications are those given by manufacturers and are not tested for accuracy.